This moist cake has the unusual, but delicious combination of apples and chocolate chips.
This recipe is a family favorite and it based a cake recipe in a circa 1980s Junior League of Columbus cookbook. The original recipe is not gluten free and has enough oil and sugar to give you diabetes and make you have a heart attack all in one sitting! While I still wouldn’t consider this cake, with my modifications included, healthy, I think it’s worth the calories. I don’t recall the original recipe’s name but my Dad nicknamed it dandy (i.e., excellent in class) and it stuck.
- ½ cup GMO free canola oil
- ½ plain applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 oz nut free chocolate chips
- 3-5 Fuji or similar peeled and finely diced apples
- Mix oil, apple sauce and eggs in a stand mixer.
- In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until incorporated.
- Fold in apples and chocolates.
- Pour into a greased 9×12 glass pan and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.